In 1858 mint director James Ross Snowden directed engraver James Barton Longacre to prepare cent designs which would replace the Flying Eagles as of January 1, 1959. The result was some 60-100 (12) piece sets of pattern cents.
According to Rick Snow in his book The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution guide, 2nd Edition c2001, the original 12 piece sets were all proof coins and comprised three obverses; the flying eagle with small letters, the small (skinny) eagle, and the Indian head with broad (rounded) bust point, which were combined with four different reverses; the oak wreath, oak wreath with ornamental shield, cereal (agricultural) wreath, and the five leaf laurel wreath. It is noted that Snow categorizes 49 different variations on the original 12 piece set which include narrow or pointed Indian busts, high leaf reverses, six laurel leaf reverses, undated specimens, broad planchets, and different metals of copper, nickel, and bronze.
These additional coins all being of very low mintage.